Mom’s recipe from the old B H & G cookbook
1 1/2 C canned pumpkin (this will be one 15-oz can; be sure you don't buy "pumpkin pie filling," because that's already spiced and egged and milked and icky)
3/4 C sugar (I've used Splenda successfully too)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves (Qait's cookbook didn't even call for cloves!)
3 slightly beaten eggs
1 1/4 C milk (skim milk or reconstituted milk will work, but I usually use 2%)
2/3 C evaporated milk (this is a little more than a 6-oz can; I use the little bit of excess in scrambled eggs or something)
1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell (and the other reason people like my pies is that the crust is homemade, with coaching from the best cooks--my mother, who learned tips from my dad's mother; and Relief Society experts)
OVEN at 400 degrees
Combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, and spices.
Blend in eggs, milk, and evaporated milk.
Pour into pastry shell (have edges crimped high because amount of filling is generous). Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, or till knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
Cool. (I cool it and then chill it in the fridge for at least an hour. If you put these pies into the fridge immediately after they're out of the oven, they'll get a lot of watery fluid on top. That's okay, though. You just blot it up with a paper towel.)
Another tip: If you want to, you can pour the filling into the pie shells after the shells are placed on the oven rack. I do this when I'm being very particular, because if I slosh the filling onto the edges of the crust before the pies bake, I usually get burned areas where the filling has splashed the crust. It can be a hassle, but it's worth it sometimes. You have to have a small enough pitcher (like a 2-cup glass measure or something) and you have to keep the pitcher wiped off to prevent drips.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment