Beccy and Beverly’s Beef Stew
"Okay Rae, here's the recipe. I don't measure anything when I make this one, this is how Mom did it: start with beef broth (enough to make it however "brothy" you like it and to boil the veggies). I like to use about 6 C, and I make it from that "Better than Bouillon" beef stock paste stuff from Costco. You store it in a little jar in the fridge and reconstitute it with water. Very handy, cheaper than canned broth.
Add some worchestershire sauce, a little vinegar, dried mustard, allspice (go easy) salt and pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning and dried parsley. Add a bay leaf, and pearl barley if you have any. If you frequent the health food stores, quinoa and/or hemp seed add protein and flavor (and make awesome little broth floaties) :D
Then chop! Pretend you're on a cooking show and go for it!: 4-6 potatoes, carrots, onions, celery. Add a can of diced tomatoes, some frozen peas, frozen corn, green beans, and cooked beef cubes (I use canned roast beef, also from Costco). Bring it to a boil, then simmer it covered til your potatoes and carrots are tender (maybe 20 min.). I love it reheated for lunch. Mmmmm! We have it with hot bread/biscuits.
It's actually my winter go-to recipe when I don't know what to fix, because the fresh veggies are ones I usually have on hand, and the other stuff I have stored/canned/frozen. Plus, it feeds my hungry teenage boys (who slurped up 3 bowlfuls each that night). It's comfort food, but low calorie. Good stuff!!!
Love ya :D"
No comments:
Post a Comment